Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Oh no she di-n't

I was talking to a friend today. She is lucky enough to stay home with her baby. Her baby will be a year old next month. She made a comment about how lucky she is to be able to stay home and raise her baby and how fortunate she is that someone else is not raising her kid.
Well, this pissed me off.
See, I have always worked. Both of my babies went to daycare.
I felt, rather than be on welfare, I wanted to work and provide for my family.
We have never been well off enough for me to stay home.
That is just my reality.
I told her that I don't feel I missed out on too much and besides what choice did I have?
I had to work to provide a good life for my kids and to have good insurance.
I said I get tired of the stay at home moms judging the working moms and vice versa.
We are all Mom's doing the best we can do!

2 comments:

clean and crazy said...

awe, i don't think the comment you said here was judging, i say that because what you write is she says she feels lucky to stay home, that to me sounds like she was saying you were doing what you needed to be doing and like a lot of mom's that is what we need to do.
i know what you feel, i hated welfare too. you are a great and responsible person there are fewer and fewer out there doing the right thing today. i am fortunate because me honey makes enough for me to stay home and we have insurance. i have never had this before and it is weird, like i do not pull my own weight because i do not bring in money.
but i am totally grateful for the opportunity to be here with my girls. i missed that with my oldest.
i think you are uber mom and uber cool.

but i was not there at the conversation and i don't know how she said what she said it could have sounded condescending to you. sometimes we girls say one thing and mean another. i am learning to just be direct. i have a few less friends because of it but i am being true to me and that is all i can do.

how was your easter?

Lola said...

women have to stop tearing each other down! we all do what works for us right?